Today we want to talk to you about spring cleaning. Specifically spring cleaning your closet. Yes, we know it's a PIA to do, but trust us, once you buckle down and commit, you will be sooooo happy with the results!
So let's get right to it. Here are our 5 tips to get you through the process:
- Set up a killer playlist. Our philosophy is that the right music in any given situation can make that situation manageable - & maybe even a little bit fun! So cue up some tunes that make you feel like the boss that you are and dive in.
- Divide and conquer. Professional organizers suggest this approach. The worst thing to do would be to pull everything out just to have to shove half of it back in when your cleaning time runs out, never to finish the process. So break it down. Shoes one day. Accessories next. Then break out the clothes. Shirts. Pants. Dresses. Skirts. The old adage about eating an elephant one bite at a time comes to mind here.
- Anything you haven't worn in a year, remove from your closet (this includes shoes and purses). Yes - perhaps one day you might find the perfect occasion to wear that canary yellow dress with the ruffle, but if that occasion hasn't occurred in the past year, take Elsa's cue and LET IT GO.
- Give yourself choices. Specifically these three: Keep. Consign. Donate. Set up 3 boxes and designate items to each as you pull them out of the closet. Not only will you feel good about purging but you could also make some $$ on the side AND walk away with a good dose of karma. Just make sure once they go in the trunk of the car they don't take up permanent residence there!
- Last but not least, if it all still seems too overwhelming, we know a couple of cool chics who can provide a closet audit service at a reasonable price ;-)
Christy & Diane - XOXOX